Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sugar Snap & Melissa Averinos


Designer Melissa Averinos says she's a "sporadic sewer" -- although having a new line of fabric out for FreeSpirit Fabrics may change that.
"I really admire seamstresses and good sewers, and I want to become one," she says. "I don't see myself making quilts with precision but I would like to make clothes with precision."
In the meantime, she'll likely continue her organic method of quilting, which is not that dissimilar from her other artistic endeavors: she arranges strips and squares of fabric on her studio floor until they please her, then sews them together.
"I have a philosophy about artwork or design: mess with it until it looks good," she says. "I work very much on instinct."
She finds inspiration in the everyday items around her, from trees trimmed to accommodate power lines to rusty metal to the textures of asphalt. Her blog, Yummy Goods, (which shares its name with her recently opened gift shop) is a delightful visual trip, showcasing her thrifted finds, as well as her artwork and her honest and open journaling.
See how the Trendy Textiles designers have been inspired by Melissa's work in our Etsy shops. You also can read more about Melissa at Confessions of a Craft Addict.

No comments: